Tuesday, 24 September 2013

Day 1 Lands End to Liskeard - difficulties with nutrition (73.8 miles)

Gorgeous sunny departure from Lands End. Very fine country lanes to Penzance, Merazion and St Martin's Mount then heading inland to our first Water hole, Praze-en-Beeble.

The tour organisers seemed to be supplying wall to wall food. Main mistake of the day was starting with a full English (veggie variant), followed by assorted snacks at Praze, huge lunch at Probus (soup, pasta, cheese, crisps, salad, olives, more cheese). I was like a crazed 7 year old ogling and devouring a birthday spread. Not good! The hills beyond Truro were bigger than my stomach. Again, the travel nymphs were kind and I retained my feast for subsequent digestion. However, I've learnt to be more modest!

My fellow cyclists are from all walks of life, a retired reverend, grandad of child with cystic fibrosis, and at one point I was sandwiched between two lawyers (they are tame when cycling). All group are friendly and supportive, at least on Day 1.

Statistics
Distance: 73.8 miles
Riding time: 5:07
Climbing: 1695m
Ave speed 14.4mph (Max speed 41.4mph)
Road kill: pigeon, fox, pheasant, x2 heavy duty gloves (yellow & blue)
High point: fabulous skies riding towards Praze-en-Beeble (yes, this is a Cornish village, as is Probus)
Low point: ridiculous advice to sit in freezing cold water bath drinking poorly dissolved berry-flavoured skimmed milk powder in the guise of expensive recovery drink!
Burning question: What happened to Day 0?

2 comments:

  1. You didn't really sit in a bath of cold water sipping berry-flavoured sludge did you? I was only joking!
    "Sandwiched between two lawyers"? Was that after the ride? Sounds interesting (please keep us updated!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you happen to have a photo of one of these travel nymphs?

    ReplyDelete